14 July 2020

THE INTER-CONNECTED LIFE

It is a good thing I don't have any abnormal fear of COVID-19.  I am lucky so far, only lost my job and nothing else.  The week before the public library shut down until further notice, I borrowed an audiobook by the name of Lone Wolf, by Jodi Picoult.  Audibooks are normally loaned out for 21 days but because of the pandemic the library gave long extension.  For some reason, I never got around to listening to the 11-disc "book".  Probably partly because computers nowadays don't come with optical drive.  I do have a USB DVD drive but the extra step of connecting it to my laptop somehow discouraged me from start listening to the book.

With the public libraries scheduled, perhaps already, to open this week, I finally decided to start listening to it.  I thought maybe I only have another week or more of the extension.  The audiobook has at least two narrators, a male and a female.  From Disc 1, I learned that the male narrator is someone named Nick Cordero.  Or maybe I should use the word "was", because in the news recently there was a Broadway actor, young person too, just 41 years old, who just died because of complications from COVID-19.  A few searches in Google and Bing do not confirm my suspicion that it's the same person, but I do know actors, singers etc sometimes narrate audiobooks.  Maybe if I stumble upon some Nick Cordero Fan Club, if those things still exist, I can confirm it's the same person.

A major part of Lone Wolf involves a person who suffered severe injuries to the brain and had to be kept alive with breathing apparatus.  Yup, a VENTILATOR.  Years ago, I may not pay much attention when the word VENTILATOR is used, but nowadays it makes me shudder, based on what I read it's a painful process to be put on a ventilator.

Sometimes you just cannot avoid the news.  I don't try that hard to avoid it, so while I find it interesting that COVID-19 still makes its way into my life, just as I try to forget it via an audiobook, it's no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment