23 January 2014

THORWBACK THURSDAY: METROCARDS

It's Throwback Thursday!  I know, by the time most people read this it would be Friday already.

So the news say the NYC MetroCard is supposed to be retired in the not-so-distant future.  I hope its replacement won't be something that only works on smartphones.  Much as I love smartphones, I don't want rely on it for my commute.  I would not mind one of those things that get sucked into the turnstile and spit out on the inside.  On some bad days, the stupid MetroCard wouldn't work no matter how fast or how slow I swipe it.  It sucks because the turnstile does not suck, that's all I have to say.

As a pack rat and collector of many things, I did collect MetroCards when it first came out, especially when it started to carry ads or some promotional pictures on the back.  Until a few hours ago, I had no idea I had the collection below.  I know I have a pack of old MetroCards in my attic, but the particular designs eluded me.  I know I have a blue one, which on eBay may fetch me $20, alas I only have one, so selling it is not an attractive option.  The rest I totally forgot that I have.  Like the series from New York Mets and its ethnic nights (Jewish, Hispanic, Asian).  I am no sports fan but I thought maybe the baseball fans may get a kick out of the Yankees (Modell's actually) and Mets cards.  I can almost swear I have a NY Rangers card but I didn't see it.

I used to ride the Q58 bus to back and forth from JHS 73 in Maspeth, Queens.  I used to keep all the monthly cards in a clear plastic thingy.  Of course I either threw the whole thing away or can not find it.  Maybe to make up for that I collected the student MetroCards.  At first I thought the cards I have were picked up randomly after some students threw them away.  It turned out the names on the student cards are possibly someone I know.  Alas, I have zero collection of asking for them from those "kids" (The MetroCard turned 20 years old recently, so those kids are not kids any more.)


8 comments:

  1. Hey Qap, I am putting my name as #1 on the list if you ever found the NY Rangers and while we are on the subject, may I have all the cards with sports theme? Thank you. TOTA (Your adoring and faithful follower)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, the sports-themed cards will be mailed to you, TOTA. Alas, I couldn't find the Rangers card. I might have it in a smaller pile, or who knows it may be in that box of papery stuff, even though it's plastic...

      Delete
  2. Hey there are you selling some card by any chance? maybe we can work something out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, let's talk business privately. I also need to do a little research to learn about the market.

      Delete
    2. i have thousands and im always willing to buy. Email me

      Delete
  3. Are you selling any by any chance? There are some I'd love to have my hands out. Hope we can discuss it ! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im always buying and selling.I have thousands

    ReplyDelete