10 October 2013

HAVE DATA PLAN, WILL COMPUTE!

For a technically-inclined person, I don't personally have the latest and greatest gears.  For the cell phone, it was only when my family was expecting our first child that I decide to own one.  It was useful for the few false alarms.  Next, when broadband access started to become more readily available, I was still poking away on a dial-up modem.  On a desktop computer!  Even if I wanted to, DSL was not available to my area any way.  DSL finally did arrive, followed by FiOS.  After a while, the supposedly faster speed is lost on me.  Not that I mind, as everything seems to be pretty smooth.  I don't do movies or any heavy-duty stuff, so speed is not an issue.  The tech life is extra nice when you compute wirelessly, but things are even better done on a smartphone or some mobile device.  The form factor makes all the difference.  No need to boot up and wait for the device to be ready.  Still, for two years my mobile computing was limited to the range of my home's WiFi.  Outside the house, I had to rely on public WiFi or my meager 200-megabyte-a-month data plan.  It is really puny but believe it or not if you limit your activity to emailing, some Facebooking, an occasional photo upload, you really can survive each month with 200 MB.  That all changed a few weeks ago, when I finally took the plunge.  It was time to get a new 2-year contract so the big family opted for a big family plan with 10 GB to be shared by the seven phones.  I can finally do all these while out in the world:


  • renew Brooklyn Public Library materials, to avoid late fees
  • take the latest Daily Poll on SwagBucks.com and earn a point or two
  • enter MyCokeRewards as soon as I finish drinking
  • approve the many membership requests Newtown High School of Elmhurst group in Facebook has been getting lately
  • use Google Map to find places, I have an aversion to the dedicated Garmin Nuri GPS
  • get the latest news

Exciting, isn't it?  What else can I do to recuperate the monthly access fee?

No comments:

Post a Comment