21 December 2012

MERRY QRISTMAS!!!

As far back as I can remember, Christmas is for the kids.  Or specifically, Christmas presents and parties.  I am not even religious and only do things like hooking up the lights and adorning the Christmas tree just for decorations.  Some years I even dress up as Santa to give out presents, to the kids (my own, nieces and nephews), just for fun.  I think I told them the true meaning of Christmas but not sure if they remember it.  Apologies to the Religious Right.

In recent years, the festivity has decreased in intensity.  No more Santa suits, the kids know who man really is, it is no longer fun for them.  Kids have other interests in life and don't want to help out with decorating the Christmas tree.  I think some years we didn't even have the tree up.

I finally got the tree up this week, but was hoping some kids would help me decorate it.  None came forward, so I did it all myself today.  At first I was going to put up just a few globes but then I thought this might be the last year I will do it.  Not because of the kerfuffle with the Mayans.  So I went all out and used every ornaments found in the box.  Then I recalled an idea I got from Runner's World magazine's Facebook page.  Race medals!  I only have a handful but I think it's just about right.

Qaptain Qwerty's 2012 Qristmas tree.
A different view of the Christmas tree.
Close-up to show the medal from the inaugural Brooklyn Marathon, 2011 and in the shape of the Grand Army Plaza arch, on the right.  The 2012 Brooklyn Marathon medal is on the left, which showcases the Brooklyn Bridge.
Close-up of the Yonkers 2012 Marathon medal, in the shape of New York State.
I live in Queens for over 13 years, so it's my second favorite NYC borough.  The Queens 10K medal features the Unisphere of Flushing Meadows Park.
The Bronx 10-Mile medal shows the gate of Bronx Zoo.  What would be a better icon to represent the Bronx?  I don't know.  Along with Staten Island, Bronx is among the least-visited boroughs for me.
Sigh, I sure was hoping to run the NYC Marathon a third time, but Sandy dashed that hope.  At least I will get my money back.


For photos of a medal tree submitted to Runner's World, visit
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151146401671987&set=a.331864511986.156956.9815486986&type=1&theater

Look at other photos in Runner's World Timeline in Facebook while you are there.

Thanks go to my #1 Reader, TOTA, for sending the Christmas tree and the ornaments.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Captain;
    I enjoyed reading your blog today about Christmas. It is true that kids lose interest in the tradition of Christmas...........except for the "getting lots of Christmas Presents" part.....=)....even I am guilty of that to some degree. That is why parents like you must continue the traditions until the children become older and learn again to appreciate the traditions of Christmas. After all, if traditions were to stop when the children grow to the age where they sometimes lose interest, all traditions would have died out centuries ago. TOTA and I very much enjoyed our Christmas in NYC when you picked us up from the airport in a Santa Suit (Santa is also known as ST. Nicholas......another Christian tradition.) This remains a VERY fond memory. I remember too that on our way home, many cars that we passed that saw you in your suit would beep their horns to say hello. These were adults that appreciated this tradition too. Christmas is a time for everyone to become child like and to share a new spirit of hope and joy and love. So, please keep this tradition alive and well..........and if the kids don't volunteer to help..........put on some Christmas music.........and ask them to help decorate the tree with you......after all unless you ask kids to help.....they will never pick up after themselves or take out the trash once in a while either. Merry Christmas Linus and to all of the family. Love, your TOTA Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing, Qap . . . were the tree and the decorations in a box labeled "papery things" in the attic?
    Thanks so much for the sonobe - it is very beautiful and I (and TOTA too) appreciate it very much.
    Again, Merry Christmas and God bless us all everyone!
    Your Brother in STL

    ReplyDelete