06 May 2008

Macs Cannot Do...

Much as I love my Macs, there are certain things that the Macs just cannot do. As a Mac evangelist, I do tell people that I preach to about the sad fact. This is more like a list in case I need it. I don't do false advertisement.
  • Can You See What I See? - Scholastics published many I Spy games for both Macs and Windows. The latest in the series, not necessarily from Scholastics, so far is available for Windoze only. Although my Son already has a few hidden object games, the I Spy series is still his favorite, especially in CYSWIS Seymour plays a bigger role. Or so it seems.
  • Platypus 2 - I played Platypus 2 on a Windoze machine and really like all the extra weapons and the three-player mode. On the Mac with the original Platypus, I can get only so far so I hope that with three players against the computer, I may get further.
  • Citrix - One option to connect to the office is to go to some web site and connect via a Citrix connection. Unfortunately, you need more than the Citrix client to work. Whatever behind the scene requires ActiveX and the site specifically declares that it does not support Macs. I verified by installing a Citrix client on my Mac and failed utterly. Oh well, might as well keep work and fun separated.
  • Hap Hazard - My Son play many games at miniclips.com but some games, such as Hap Hazard, does not work on the Mac. Windoze with Internet Explorer only, supposedly. I even tried to use it on my lowly Win XP PC but there too it failed to run. Whatever. Luckily, so far Son has not asked about it any more.
  • Cantonese data entry - The built-in Chinese keyboard method works fine, but I can only use its pinyin method. You need to know Mandarin in order to use pinyin. I know the Cantonese dialect better than Mandarin so this does not help me. On Windoze, I used to use UnionWay for Chinese data entry and it does support Cantonese. Lately I have almost no need for writing Chinese so, while it would be nice to be able to write with Cantonese sound, no major loss there.
On a good note, I distinctly recall Cartoon Network's videos of recently aired shows used to be unavailable to Macheads but I just checked and it worked fine. Maybe someone at CN realized that there is a sizable Mac audience out there to cater to.

Also, I used to wish Vietnamese keyboard method on the Mac could have more option. On my old PowerBook G4, there is only one choice, but I see that with Leopard, on the Wife's laptop, there are many choices, including VNI, with the diacritical marks at keys 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. It has been a while, but I think it's sắc, huyền, hỏi, ngã, nặng.

So, if you can live without certain Windoze apps or web sites, make the switch and enjoy computing without all that baggage Windoze brings!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 PM

    Wow, i go away for a bit and when I come back I have 2 posts just for little ol me.. Its a shame really I have hardly been able to use the Mac since I got it. I have imported about 140 gigs of video, almost done.. Once i finish I will mix and match like things, Disney,birthdays ect and burn to dvd. With a small baby in the house I am slammed from the moment I step inside the door with my 5 dollar Hungry Howies pizza... After I take son # 2 for a bit so mom can take a break, son #1 and Daughter #1 want to go swimming, soon its close to bedtime and we get ready for the next day to start it all over again. We will be at Disney next week so ill try to send a few videos with the fancy .mac account. btw, Thanks for the mac info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Tell mom to keep stocking up on the rice! 200 a barrel Oil here we come! Here is a blog I read on a daily basis, interesting about the # of engineers we are graduating here in usa vrs other countrys..

    http://suddendebt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete