13 August 2005

ALS

ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, more popularly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a disease of the spinal cord that causes the muscles shrink over time (atrophy), usually beginning with the limbs. Currently there is no cure for it, although there are clinical trials and treatments to lessen the effects of ALS.

In September 2004, I found out a friend of mine, M., was afflicted with ALS. He's a young person my age, with wife and kids. ALS seems to strike anyone at anytime. I just went to visit M. today. He and his wife are in a very good spirit. More power to them! I offered M. to babysit his kids some weekend so they can have a break. They seem to be doing ok with the kids, as his wife's parents are in the city and probably helped a lot. I myself would love to have some time to myself some time so I figured M. and his wife can use some themselves.

I wish I can visit him more often but job and family take away lots of time. I rarely have time to catch a movie (good or bad) on DVD or lay back to listen to some favorite tunes on CDs. I must try to visit M. at least once a month though...

No comments:

Post a Comment