29 September 2020

SWIPERS GONNA SWIPE

 I love the iPhone and smartphone technology but in some aspects my old-school way of thinking can only take me so far.  In particular I am talking about swiping with the finger(s) as a way to interact with smartphones etc.  Swiping with one finger, say as a way to look through a list, is kinda easy.  Pinching and un-pinching to zoom in and out isn't too difficult to learn.  Some maps would tell you to use two fingers to move around.  The message would be there so you can read it and act accordingly.  That's the max for me.  I understand there's a whole slew of things you can do with three fingers or maybe even four fingers.  That's too much for me.

I looked forward to using iOS 14 just for the ability to add captions to photos.  I hate it when I cannot find a particular picture I want.  Having the appropriate caption associated to each photo would be useful, but only in the recently released iOS 14 can that be done natively.  The thing is I couldn't find the place where I would enter the caption.  I know there's an Edit button, after you selected that you can do some simple manipulation of the photo, like rotating, cropping, or messing around with its color, brightness, etc.  So that's where I went to find some mythical button that says Add Caption.  Except it's not there!  I tried Googling for it but because of my choice of words all I got back was lists of features of iOS 14.  Why, some of those lists even mentioned the ability to add caption, just that they are so busy talking about the new features there's no time to show me how to actually do it.

I decided to ask a friend who upgraded a few days earlier.  Maybe my iPhone 7 is too old to support the feature.  Not so.  The feature is there, I just had to get the photo in full-screen mode then swipe up from there.  Doh!  There it is, a blank space to take Caption!  Of course, afterward I searched for How to add Caption in iOS 14 or something similar and there are many useful hits, albeit useless now.  Now that I know how to add caption, it vaguely dawned on me that I came to that screen before, where there are other info about the photo, like Location.  I probably arrived there by mistake, otherwise I would know how to get there.  Maybe it's just me, but that's not intuitive at all.  Oh well, years from now when old farts like me die off the young people (young now anyway) will all agree what a great interface it is, so natural to swipe up to see more info about whatever they are looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment