24 June 2013

TOUR DE FLATBUSH

Some weeks ago I read in the news, probably from this New York Times article (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/a-stores-building-stands-out/?_r=0 ) that a Sears store in Brooklyn was granted landmark status.  I just then visited the area on foot, just to see Erasmus Hall High School and the Kings Theater.  I don't know too much about architecture but I like classical or historic buildings.  Had I know about the Sears building I would have visited it that same week.

Today I had a need to be in the area, or rather further past the area, so I got there by bike.  Good thing I did because it got really hot by the return trip.  I got to visit Gil Hodges' final resting place in Holy Cross Cemetery, a local food market with dubious initials, and the landmark Art Deco Sears store in Flatbush.


Sears Roebuck and Co., corner of Beverley and Bedford.
The 10-story tower of the Sears store.
Entrance to Holy Cross Cemetery at Tilden and Brooklyn Avenues.
Gil Hodges grave.  I am no baseball fan and only know Mr. Hodges after that bridge connecting Brooklyn to the Rockaways.  If the cemetery's literature didn't say so, I wouldn't know that's the Gil Hodges who was a first baseman for the Dodgers and a manager for the Mets.
NSA Foodmarkets, they know everything about you beyond your fridge, from your phone conversations to your web-surfing habit.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these historical landmarks.
    I enjoy the photos and the stories behind the places.
    Keep up the good work.
    TOTA

    ReplyDelete