13 October 2012

STATEN ISLAND ON MY MIND

The biggest ferris wheel in the world.  The missing link of the Harbor Ring.  A half-marathon where I achieved a new personal record (PR).  Staten Island has been on my mind of late.  Like many New Yorkers, I don't spend much time on Staten Island.  It is expensive to get to.  It is not convenient to get to.  But I tried.  Years ago in high school I actually purposely signed up with WalkAmerica to walk in Staten Island, just to get a better perspective of this oft-ignored NYC borough.  I don't remember much about that walk, unfortunately.  But I came back to Staten Island again and again.  Not counting those times when I drive on the clogged I-278 to get to New Jersey.

This past Sunday, for the NYRR Staten Island Half-Marathon, I arrived in St. George ferry terminal early enough to snap a few photos of the nearby area.  It was my third or fourth time, in recent years, at St. George but I didn't have the time to look around, until Sunday.  Below are some photos from the visit, mostly of the 9/11 Memorial, but also one photo from another visit.  On that visit, I purposely went to Staten Island to visit Snug Harbor's Chinese Scholar Garden and South Beach.  If some day the Verrazano Bridge actually has a bike/walk lane, I will definitely visit Staten Island more often, or at least the South Beach area.

9/11 Memorial looking north.




Only when I took this photo did I realize the pieces are profiles of people's faces, perhaps in the likeness of the victims associated to the pieces.
From a summer visit to Staten Island.  I often saw South Beach across the water from Fort Hamilton and finally made a trip there.
BASED ON THIS PHOTO INSIDE ST. GEORGE FERRY TERMINAL, TRUE OR FALSE, STATE ISLAND IS THE ONLY NYC BOROUGH NOT SERVICED BY SUBWAY?






No comments:

Post a Comment