15 February 2012

I LOVE ARTS

Amazon recently cancelled my endorsement contract when I wrote that I rely mostly on the public libraries for books.  Just kidding, of course, but it is true that I do not buy books that often, for reading, that is.  I do love paintings and drawings, the traditional types, and have a small collection of art books.  M.C. Escher, Norman Rockwell, Patrick Nagel, and Don Martin.  I did say it is a small collection, right?  There might be a book or two that I forgot about but that is about it.


Tonight I added to my meager collection a book by Julian Beever, the anamorphic master.  I first learned of Beever's amazing chalk drawings through some email forwards.  Everyone probably knows someone who likes to forward things via email.  Most of the stuff is crap but occasionally there is something useful, like Beever's seemingly impossible 3D arts.  I even took a shot at trying to do anamorphic drawing and failed miserably.  Even Master Beever took a few days to do his drawing, I gave mine only few minutes.


I recently learned that Beever has a book out, "Pavement Chalk Artist".  The typical person would just order the book online and receive it at home.  In my case, I cannot rely on the USPS or UPS. If I miss the USPS person somehow I would have to go to the local post office on Saturday, on which day the office would open until 1 PM only, and extremely crowded.  It is still a better option than UPS, which if you missed the delivery you would have to drive to some place in the middle of nowhere to get it.  Sure you can call and arrange a better delivery time and date but last I checked it out there is extra charges somewhere.  Another problem with UPS is that they would sometimes just leave the package outside my door.  Hello, this is Brooklyn, New York here, where people steal anything not bolted/cemented/welded to something immovable!  But I digress.  I ordered the book at the Barnes & Noble in Forest Hills on Saturday and tonight I picked it up from the B&N in the Village, which I pass by during my work commute.


I have not read much of the book.  On the subway, I had to flip through it and see photos of the amazing drawings.  I saw most of them before on the computer screen but seeing them again on paper breath new life into them.  I am sure in the book Beever doles out advice and tips on how to draw the anamorphic way.  I will take a shot at trying something simple.  Do not hold your breath.  It looks so impossible and I may never have anything to share, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment